Thursday, April 1, 2010

From 200 to 2,000 in 2 years...

Jack and Marcia Stibbs, Matacha Saul and the great and loyal volunteers of The Woodlands, Texas are rainmakers in support of PH research!

Jack's first event for PH research was a golf tournament in 1999.  It grew and grew, until three years ago, Jack said, "I think it's time for a changeup."

And changeup he did...from golf to bugs. Well, allright, crawfish. 
That first year I went to the Bug Boil. It was a great and sunny day, attracting a crowd of over 200people.  We ate a lot of crawfish, alligator and potatoes, drank a lot of beer and enjoyed a great zydeco band.  It was a great and fun day.

This year, two years later, 2,000 people consumed 6,000 lbs of crawfish, 160 lbs of alligator and 2,000 pieces of chicken.  Oh, and there was a refined name change to Crawfish Festival....with even more fun.

Last Saturday's event had to turn people away - and what I hear from Jack - is already planning on growing from A Houston-area event to a regional event in 2011. 

Over the years, the Woodlands team has raised well over a million and a half dollars for research through their great efforts and built tremendous awareness of pulmonary hypertension in the Houston area.  Despite their strange food tastes (sorry Jack, I couldn't resist!), all of us at PHA are deeply grateful for what they have done and continue to do to fight this disease.  THANK YOU TEXAS!

Enjoy a great slideshow of this event

1 comment:

  1. I think the name change from "Bug Boil" to "Crawfish Festival" was a good move because you'd never get a Yankee like me to eat a bug (boiled, roasted, or fried!). But I'd definitely try a crawfish. I hope I can attend this great event next year to support my friends Jack & Macia Stibbs, his daughter Emily, and the cause we all care so much about.

    ReplyDelete