Wednesday, October 7, 2009

This is democracy...

Katie Kroner, our Advocacy and Awarenss Director and I  took a trip to Capitol Hill today to support the Scleroderma Foundation as they held their first Congressional Luncheon.  The bonus for me was that it was held in the Jefferson Library of Congress Building, a beautiful structure, which I had never visited before.


Due to the connection between PH and Scleroderma, our partnership with the Foundation has been good over the years.  I was glad to be able to congratulate Robert Riggs as their new President and to see a number of leaders I've gotten to know from various meetings over the years.  It was fun to hear frrom Dr. Furst, a UCLA rheumatologist that his wife Elaine - a former SF board chair who I've known for years - is now doing TV and movie acting.

Rep. Lois Capps - a leader on both PHA's and the Scleroderma Foundation's bill made the take-away point of the day for me when she said,
"Your stories are the reason we will ultimately pass your legislation...This is democracy...Tell your stories."

Rep. Capps is a nurse as well as a Congresswoman and had addressed about 100 PH Resource Network nurses at their Lobby Day on September 24.  I missed that, attending our Scientific Leadership Council meeting that same day.  It was good to hear her on target message today.

No comments:

Post a Comment