Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Philly Story...

I got home a little while ago and am enjoying the Yankees 8th inning lead over the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 2 of the World Series.  After all, the Yanks have been my heroes since I was a kid growing up in the Bronx.

But I find myself thinking about another hero...a dad from the City of Brotherly Love..

Earlier today, I was at my desk when the phone rang.  When I answered, the man on the other end started with,
"I made a donation this year and I just wanted to let you know that I'll be making another one next year."
He seemed pretty upbeat and, after I thanked him, we chatted a bit.  Like so many of the people I'm privileged to talk to, he was an extraordinary person with an extraordinary story.
"My son had two transplants this year.  His first set of lungs had an infection and he was in real trouble.  Then there was another set of lungs and he was transplanted again.  He's doing great."
His son is 11 and will soon be 12. God bless.

It was a great conversation with an inspiring person.  The intensity of his life appeared to have made him more, nott less.. 

Well, the game's over now and Mariano Rivera closed out the Phillies for my Yankees...but, when it comes to things that matter, I thinnk there's a father in Philadelphia who's the real deal..

No comments:

Post a Comment